This article is about how to buy cryptocurrency for beginners in 10 easy steps. You will learn how to get started in investing in digital assets like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Bitcoin Cash safely and securely step-by-step.
Here is a quick summary of the 10 easy steps you will follow on how to buy cryptocurrency for beginners:
Quick Summary of How to Buy Cryptocurrency for Beginners:
- Buy Paper Notebooks
- Record All Crypto-Related Account Details in Your Paper Notebooks
- Create Long, Strong Passwords for Each Crypto Account
- Scan, Clean, and Secure Your Computer from Malware
- Secure Your Cell Phone and Setup a Passphrase for New SIM Cards
- Create and Secure a New Email Account with an Encrypted Provider
- Download and Setup 2-Factor Authentication Applications on Your Cell Phone
- Setup and Secure Cryptocurrency Wallet
- Setup and Secure an Account with a Cryptocurrency Exchange
- Record Instructions on How to Access Accounts and Create a Will or Trust in the Event of Death
Video Version of How to Buy Cryptocurrency Step-by-Step:
Two Important Cryptocurrency Tips Before Starting:
I’m going to make this as easy as possible for you guys, but before we start learning how to buy cryptocurrency, I want to share with you two important things you need to know before transforming some of your wealth into digital assets.
First, Appreciate that Cryptocurrency is New, Complex Technology
Number one, these types of investments are not like anything else you may be familiar with. Unlike banks, credit unions, and traditional stock exchanges, there are virtually no fail safes in place to protect you if you make a mistake or don’t understand what you’re doing.
- There is no hotline you can call when you get stuck,
- There’s no corporate headquarters you can reach out to if you lose your funds,
- There are no FDIC insured banks behind these investments
This means at anytime you could lose all of your investments from hackers or user error with no recourse at all.
Cryptocurrency is cutting-edge technology, it’s the modern day wild wild west, so it requires some focused time and energy to wrap your head around.
Luckily for you, I’ve done a lot of the leg work to compile this step-by-step guide on how to buy cryptocurrency to ensure you receive the knowledge and understanding you need to be successful in cryptocurrency investments.
Second, Cryptocurrency is Highly Risky – Only Invest What You Can Afford to Lose
The second thing you need to know before we go any further is the golden rule of investing:
NEVER invest more than you can afford to lose.
High risk can lead high reward and we humans have a natural tendency to want to overreach.
But you need to figure out an amount you are comfortable investing and, more importantly, an amount you can truly afford to invest – then you need to stick with that amount and be patient in the process.
Cryptocurrency is a lot more volatile and unpredictable than the stock market. Unlike the 9 to 5 new york stock exchange, cryptocurrency is traded around the world 24/7.
So if you want to get a good night’s sleep as a crypto investor, you need to budget the amount of money you are going to invest and stick to it.
I’ve broken down this process into 10 easy steps. So let’s get started.
Step 1: Buy Paper Notebooks
This may come as a surprise to you because crypto stuff is pretty high-tech, but the first thing you need to do is get yourself some paper notebooks.
Yes, I realize some of you have never used such ancient recording techniques like a pen and paper before, but seriously buy a couple notebooks from Amazon or something.
Consider Using Moleskine Notebooks with Grid Paper
I personally love to use these Moleskine notebooks from Amazon with grid paper. I am a huge fan of grid paper because it helps organize information in a way that’s easy to read.
You need at least two notebooks, but I suggest three.
Step 2: Record All Crypto-Related Account Details in Your Paper Notebooks
Use your paper notebooks to store all of your passwords, login credentials, and any other sensitive information regarding your crypto wallets, exchanges, and other accounts you will set up to learn how to buy cryptocurrency.
Never Use Password Managers for Cryptocurrency Accounts
Never store your passwords or login data online with a password manager, on your phone, or any device connected to the internet.
You need to go old fashioned and store all the essentials on paper with paper notebook backups. This is why I recommend buying at least two paper notebooks.
Store Your Paper Notebooks in Separate Physical Locations
You should store the notebooks in separate locations to be safe. You never know if a fire may break out, or with all these crazy hurricanes and flooding – your house or office could be affected and your paper notebook could be destroyed.
Consider storing a notebook in a safe at your house and storing the other one in a safety deposit box at a bank.
Remember, there are no pre-built fail safes in this technology and there are hackers everywhere trying to steal your funds. It’s up to you to take the necessary steps to protect your investments when learning how to buy cryptocurrency.
Also, if you decided to buy the moleskine notebook I suggested, take a moment to fill in the “In case of loss, please return to” section and, more importantly, the “as a reward: $” line.
Think carefully and consider how much you would pay to incentivize someone who found your notebook to return it safely to where it belongs.
Step 3: Create Long, Strong Passwords for Each Cryptocurrency Account
Let’s talk about passwords. Passwords related to cryptocurrency need to be strong. I’m going to share some tips that will help you create strong passwords throughout the account set up processes.
Hackers are not sitting on a computer trying to guess your password. They use programs that automatically run through massive databases of common passwords and random combinations of characters.
So, to combat this, you need to make very long passwords containing random words, letters, capitalization, and special characters. Don’t use common phrases, famous movie lines, or a Bible verse and never use the same password for more than one account.
We will be setting up a lot of different accounts as you continue to learn how to buy cryptocurrency, so be prepared to create several strong passwords throughout the process.
I don’t recommend ever storing passwords for crypto accounts on a password manager.
Cloud-based password managers like LassPass and 1Password are vulnerable to remote attacks. Even though those accounts are encrypted, if your master password is hacked, then you are completely exposed.
So, do not rely on one single password to protect your investments. Also, never store passwords in your browser because those are vulnerable as well.
That’s why I recommend only storing your passwords in your paper notebooks.
Create Long, Strong Fake Answers to Security Questions for Cryptocurrency Accounts
Next, if any accounts require a security question, treat the answers like your passwords. Create fake, long, complex answers.
People can easily find out what you mother’s maiden name was and where you went to high school on Facebook, so keep that in mind.
Also, just like your passwords, store the fake answers to security questions in your paper notebook.
Step 4: Scan, Clean, and Secure Your Computer from Malware
You need to ensure that your computer is secure and free of any malware before you start setting up any of the accounts and wallets you will set up to learn how to buy cryptocurrency.
There are a ton of free tools and services available to scan and secure your computer. In this article, I’m going to walk you through the scanning, cleaning, and securing process using Malwarebytes and if you use a PC, Keyscrambler by QFX.
These are all high-quality cyber security solutions that will help protect your computer from hackers.
Require a Long, Strong Password to Access Your Computer
First, if you don’t already, require a strong password to access your computer. So go ahead and make your first entry into your notebook: your brand new super strong computer password!
Next, let’s do a full and complete malware scan of your computer using Malwarebytes:
- Open your internet browser and go to https://malwarebytes.com
- Scroll down to all products and under the “for home” section, choose Malwarebytes for Mac or PC
- Click Learn more and then click “Free Download”
- Retrieve the downloaded file and open it to start the installation process
- Click through the installation wizard until the installation is complete and then click “Close”
- Next, open Malwarebytes on your computer and click “Scan Now”
If you are clean, congratulations! If you have some threat files, Malwarebytes will quarantine them:
- Go to the “Quarantine” section and click “show quarantine” to view the files that were quarantined.
- Then click the “Clear Quarantine” button to permanently delete all the threat files.
Secure Your Computer with a Trusted Computer Security Provider
Finally, you need to secure your freshly cleaned computer. I personally recommend using the paid version of Malwarebytes, but you can other computer security providers like Trendmicro or similar. Just make sure you choose a reputable security solution to protect your computer.
If You Use PC, Consider Using a Keyscrambler
If you have a PC instead of a Mac want to go one step further to take your security to the max, I recommend downloading and installing a keyscrambler.
Key Scramblers are great tools that prevents hidden keystroke logging malware from recording your passwords to hack into your accounts by encrypting everything you type in real time.
I recommend going trying Keyscrambler by QFX, but again, there are other key scrambling tools out there you can check out as well.
Use On-Screen Keyboards to Type in Sensitive Passwords
Or if you have an on-screen keyboard on your computer, you can elect to ONLY type out your passwords using the on-screen keyboard. This also prevents keystroke loggers from recording your passwords while you learn how to buy cryptocurrency safely.
Step 5: Secure Your Cell Phone & Setup a Passphrase for New SIM Cards
You will not be accessing crypto-related accounts on your computer alone. Smartphones play a huge role in security and access as well. So you need to take steps to secure your phone.
Require a Strong Password to Access Your Cell Phone
First, if you don’t have one already, require a password to unlock your phone. That way if it’s ever lost or stolen, there is a barrier between a potential hacker and your investments.
Make sure you log the password in your notebook for safekeeping.
Remove Your Cell Phone Number from All Public Websites
Next, you need to remove your phone number from any public website and social media, and try to never publish your cell phone number or cell phone provider publicly or to people you don’t know or trust.
I know this very difficult to do in our social media driven world, but it’s an imperative step to take to ensure the security of your investments while learning how to buy cryptocurrency.
Cell phone numbers are used to access a myriad of sensitive data, including banking, crypto, and two-factor authentication applications we will be setting up later on in this article.
Using your cell phone provider and cell phone number, there are hackers out there who conduct something called SIM theft. This is where hackers steal your phone’s identity by calling your cell phone provider and requesting a new SIM card.
If they steal your cell phone’s SIM card, they can easily hack into your investment accounts and drain your funds.
Set up a Passphrase with Your Cell Phone Provider for SIM Cards
So the next thing you need to do to prevent this from happening is set up a passphrase with your cell phone provider that must be disclosed before activating a new SIM card.
Get on the phone with T-mobile, Verizon, or whoever your cell phone provider is and set up a strong passphrase that must be disclosed before activating a new SIM card on your account.
So just to recap, you need to:
- Create a password to unlock your phone,
- Remove your phone number from any public sites on the internet,
- Never publish your phone number or cell phone provider on public sites on the internet,
- Set up a passphrase with your cell phone provider for SIM card activation.
Step 6: Create and Secure a New Email Account with an Encrypted Provider
It’s time to create a brand new unique email address using a handle you’ve never used before anywhere else. This includes your name, nicknames, or usernames you’ve used for accounts anywhere online or offline in the past.
Create a NEW Email Address – NEVER Use an Existing Email Address for Crypto
This new email address should be used exclusively for crypto investments ONLY. DO NOT use an email address you use already and that people know about to open up crypto accounts.
You need something completely random to use for the handle for your new email account – and do not use the new email address for shopping or signing up for newsletters or whatever.
Only use your new email address for crypto and don’t tell anyone you don’t know or trust about it. I recommend setting up your new email account using ProtonMail or another similar email provider that prioritizes security and privacy.
This is one of the most important steps people miss when trying to figure out how to buy cryptocurrency.
I’m going to show you how to set up a brand new email account using ProtonMail:
- Go to https://protonmail.com and click “Sign up”
- Select the FREE plan and click “Select Free Plan”
- Next choose your unique username that you’ve never used anywhere else before
- Next generate a strong password
- Register a recovery email – Make sure the email address you use as a recovery has a strong password!
- Then click “Create Account”
- Verify that you are a human
- Then click complete set up and select “Complete Setup”
Step 7: Download and Setup 2-Factor Authentication Applications on Your Cell Phone
Using your newly secured cell phone, we are now going to download some two factor authentication apps. Two factor authentication is an extra layer of security that is absolutely crucial to set up before investing in crypto.
This is how it works, when accessing an account, after entering your super secure password, you will be required to input a code that is generated on your 2-factor authentication phone app. These codes constantly change every 20 seconds to 30 seconds.
So no one will be able to access your accounts unless they have your cell phone at that particular moment in time.
There are two different authentication apps we will be downloading: Google Authenticator and Authy. Some people prefer one over the other and some people use both.
In this article, I will walk you through downloading and setting up both so you can get a feel for them.
Authy App Setup for Cryptocurrency Accounts
First, let’s download Authy:
- Go to the app store on your phone, type in Authy, and download the Authy app.
- When it’s finished downloading, enter your cell phone number, and click okay.
- Next, enter your email address you created using ProtonMail and click next.
- A window will pop up that says “Get account verification via Phone call or SMS.”
- Make a selection and then enter the registration code in the space provided.
- Tap the add icon on the accounts menu.
- You will be prompted to create a backups password.
- Create a strong password, log in it your paper notebooks, and enter in the space provided.
- Click “Enable Backups” and confirm your password by entering it again. It’s important to set up a backups to ensure you can restore your accounts if you upgrade or lose your phone.
- The next screen provides instructions on how to set up authenticator accounts. Once we start setting up accounts later on in this article, I will walk you through this process.
- On the main screen, tap on “Settings” and then choose “Protection Pin.”
- Tap the “Protection Pin” button and enter a pin. This will require a pin to be entered before opening the application.
- Next, tap the “Protect Entire App” button and enter your pin again. Your “Protection Pin” screen should now look like this:
- Next tap “Cancel” and then tap “Devices.”
- Turn the “Allow Multi-device” setting to OFF.
Now no one else can access your Authy account on any other device except your specific cell phone. Taking advantage of all security measures is extremely important. Now your Authy app is secure.
Google Authenticator App Setup for Cryptocurrency Accounts
Next let’s download Google Authenticator:
- You will need a gmail account to complete this setup, so if you don’t have one already, create one with a unique handle you’ve never used before and a strong password.
- Next open your google account security page.
- Go to the app store on your phone, type in Google Authenticator, and download the Google Authenticator app.
- Once it’s finished downloading, open the app and choose “Begin Setup.”
- You will see two options: “Scan barcode” and “Manual Entry.”
- Go to your internet browser and open your Google account security page.
- Next scroll down to the 2-Step Verification section and click “Get Started.”
- Enter your gmail account password and then enter your cell phone number.
- Choose to receive a text or phone call to receive a verification code.
- Enter the code you receive in the space provided and click “next.”
- Once the code is accepted, choose “Turn On.”
- Then, on the next page, scroll down and choose “Set up Google Authenticator.”
- Choose the type of phone you have and click “Next.”
- Now go back to your cell phone and select “scan bar code.”
- Lift your phone so the camera faces the computer screen to scan the code. Once it’s successful, your phone will show a 6 digit code that changes every 20 seconds or so along with your gmail address.
- Now, go back to your computer and click “Next.”
- Enter the code currently displayed on your phone before the time expires and the code changes and click “Verify.”
- Once the code is verified, click “done.”
If you have been using your gmail account for a long time and you are not sure if it’s automatically logs into old devices you don’t use anymore, scroll down to the “Devices you trust” section and choose “revoke all.” That way, no matter what device you are using to log into your gmail, 2-step verification will be required.
Now you have two different authenticator apps. Most accounts work with the Authy app, however some accounts only work with Google authenticator.
When setting up 2-factor authentication with accounts, you must choose one authenticator over the other. You cannot set up 2-factor authentication for the same account using both Google and Authy.
Set Up 2FA for Your New ProtonMail Account
Choose the one you would like to use to set up two-factor authentication for your ProtonMail address you created in the previous step and follow these instructions:
- Log back into your ProtonMail account.
- Next, click on settings and choose the “security” tab and then click “Enable Two-Factor Authentication.”
- You can read their 2FA guide and then click “Next.”
- Scan the QR code with your two factor authentication device to set up your account then click “Next.”
- Enter your password and then enter the two-factor passcode that is displayed on your phone in Authy or Google authenticator.
ProtonMail will also provide you with several one-time use recovery codes. Save these codes in you paper notebooks. If you ever lose your phone and are unable to access your authenticator app, these codes will be the only way to log into your account.
You can enter these codes instead of the 6-digit authentication code. Note that each code can only be used once, and they must be used in the listed order, so be sure to save all the codes.
Now 2-factor authentication should be required when logging into your ProtonMail account. If you need more support for setting up two factor authentication with ProtonMail, check out the guide at this URL:
While continuing to learn how to buy cryptocurrency, make sure you ALWAYS enable two-factor authentication on accounts whenever it is available.
Step 8: Setup and Secure Cryptocurrency Wallet
Now for the moment you’ve all been waiting for: how to set up a wallet!
There are several different types of wallets out there and some wallets only support specific cryptocurrencies. Wallets are a big topic in crypto and warrant its own article all-together.
So in this article about how to buy cryptocurrency for beginners, I’m going to walk you through setting up a safe, easy to use, and insured wallet using Coinbase. Coinbase has wallets that support Bitcoin, Ether, Litecoin, and Bitcoin Cash.
All digital currency that Coinbase holds online is fully insured. This means that if Coinbase were to suffer a breach of its online storage, the insurance policy would pay out to cover any customer funds lost as a result.
The insurance policy covers any losses resulting from a breach of Coinbase’s physical security, cyber security, or by employee theft.
However, this insurance policy does not cover any losses resulting from the compromise of your individual Coinbase account or individual error. So it is your responsibility to use a strong password and maintain control of all login credentials you use to access Coinbase.
This is why it’s crucial to understand what you are doing and learn how to buy cryptocurrency safely and securely before investing any funds.
Always Double and TRIPLE Check All URL’s You Access for Cryptocurrency
A quick note, once you start accessing wallets and exchanges online, it’s important to double and triple check the URL you are accessing to make sure it’s the real once.
Always ensure there is an https protocol in the url, not just an http. This means the site has an SSL or a secure sockets layer protecting the information passed through the website by a user. Always ensure that the actual URL is correct as well.
There are a ton of phishing sites that pretend to be the real site in order to steal your username and password to gain access to your account on the real site.
When learning how to buy cryptocurrency, it is extremely important to stay on high alert for sites pretending to be the real ones. So be extra careful out there.
Use this Link to Join Coinbase and Receive $10 Worth of Bitcoin FREE
Use the link in the button below to join Coinbase to receive $10 worth of Bitcoin for FREE when you invest more than $100 in your account.
So let’s get started:
- Go to your internet browser and go to https://coinbase.com.
- Once you are 100% sure you are accessing the right URL, bookmark the page and only access the site going forward using the bookmark. That way you never become a victim of a phishing site.
- Once you are at https://www.coinbase.com, bookmark the page, and then click “Sign up” in the top righthand corner.
- You will have the option to set up an individual account, or a business account.
- Type in your first and last name, followed by your ProtonMail email address and an extremely strong password.
- And remember, never save any passwords on your browser or password manager. Log the information in your paper notebooks.
- An email will be sent to the email address you entered.
- Log in to your ProtonMail account, open the email from Coinbase, and click “Verify Email Address.”
- Next you will be brought to the login screen to login. An updated user agreement may display. Read over it and then click “Accept terms”
- Once logged in, you will be brought to a dashboard that shows some information about Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Bitcoin Cash.
- Scroll down to the “Complete your account” section and click “add your phone number”.
- Choose your country, enter your cell phone number, and click “send code.”
- You will receive a code via text message to your cell phone. Enter it into the field provided online and click “submit.
- Next, scroll up to the top of the page and click on “Settings.”
- Next, choose the “Security” tab.
- Scroll down and choose “Enable Authenticator.”
- Another code will be texted to your cell phone. Enter it into the space provided and click “Verify.”
- Using Authy or Google Authenticator, add the account by scanning the QR code with the authenticator.
- As the instructions read, in step 3 on the screen, write down the 16 digit secret code in your paper notebooks. If your phone gets lost or stolen or erased, you will need this code to link Coinbase to a new authenticator app once installed again. Do not ever share this code with anyone. Keep it in your paper notebook and only use it to link Coinbase to a new authenticator if your phone is lost, stolen or erased.
- Once the QR code has been scanned, enter the 6 digit code provided by your authentication app. Then click “Enable.” Now your two-factor authentication is set up for Coinbase.
- In the section next to it, I recommend keeping the settings to require a verification code to send any amount of digital currency for an extra layer of protection.
- Next, click on “Accounts” and scroll down to and click on “Vault”. A vault is a more secure type of wallet Coinbase offers.
- It’s ideal for large balances, but it also delays any withdrawals and requires multiple approvals before transferring money out of it.
- If you are planning to buy and hold Bitcoin, Ether, Litecoin, or Bitcoin Cash for a long period of time and don’t mind waiting a few days for withdrawal approvals, this is a great type of wallet to set up.
- Even if you’re looking to be more of an active trader, let’s go ahead and create a vault for you, as it is a safe wallet to store Bitcoin, Ether, and Litecoin for long term investing.
- So click “create vault” and choose the currency you wish the wallet to support. In this article, I’m going to choose bitcoin.
- Choose a name for your bitcoin vault, and click “Next.”
- You will be brought to a screen that allows you to choose whether you will approve your own withdrawals or if you would like to invite people you trust to co-sign on the withdrawals. In this article, I am going to select “Individual” and click “Next.”
- Withdrawals from your Coinbase bitcoin vault wallet will need to be approved using two email addresses. I suggest using the gmail account you created or freshly cleansed during this article, because, if you followed the steps, a strong password protects it, as well as two factor authentication.
- Enter the email address and click “Next,” open the email, click “Use this e-mail to approve withdrawals,” and then you should be all set.
- On the screen, you will see the two email addresses you will need to access to approve withdrawals, as well as the email addresses and phone number that will be notified when withdrawals are requested, and you see that a 48 hour time delay is required before withdrawals will occur.
- Now click, continue to vault.
Now, under the accounts menu, you will see your Bitcoin wallet, your Bitcoin vault, an Ether wallet, a Litecoin wallet, and a Bitcoin Cash wallet. If you plan on investing in Ether and Litecoin, I urge you to repeat the process and create vaults for those currencies as well.
For long term investments, hold the Bitcoin, Ether, or Litecoin in the corresponding vaults. For short term and trading purposes, hold Bitcoin, Ether, or Litecoin in the regular corresponding Coinbase wallets.
Great! So now you have Bitcoin, Ether, and Litecoin wallets set up. In another article, I will show you how to set up other types of wallets like cold storage for increased security, as well as wallets that support other cryptocurrencies like IOTA, Stratis, and EOS.
Step 9: Setup and Secure an Account with a Cryptocurrency Exchange
Now it’s time to create accounts for cryptocurrency exchanges. There are a ton of exchanges out there and I will share other guides with you on how to buy cryptocurrency with trusted altcoin exchanges.
In another article, I will show you how to buy cryptocurrency with GDAX, which is an exchange owned by Coinbase that allows you to buy and sell Bitcoin, Ether, and Litecoin with lower fees.
In another article, I will show you how to set up accounts with other exchanges that allow you to buy and sell other cryptocurrencies in addition to Bitcoin, Ether, and Litecoin.
So let’s finish setting up your Coinbase account:
- Going back to Coinbase, go back to the dashboard, and click “Add a payment method.”
- You can choose to add a bank account, credit card, debit card, or set up a wire transfer to fund your account. Bank account transaction can take several days to hit your account. However, the moment you buy using a bank account, the price will be locked in at whatever it was in that moment, however, the trades can take 4 to 5 days to process and hit your Coinbase account.
- To add a bank account, select your bank and link your account by providing the login credentials to your bank, account number, routing number, and confirming a small deposit and withdrawal by Coinbase.
- Credit and debit cards are good to make small investments, you simply need to enter your credit or debit card details. However only Visa and Mastercard are accepted at this time.
- After entering your credit card information, you will need to confirm two withdrawal amounts from Coinbase on your credit card statement to verify the card for use.
- Setting up a wire transfer requires verifying your identity. Click “Verify ID.”
- You will need to enter your legal name, date of birth, physical address, the last 4 digits of your social security number, select from a multi-select list what you use Coinbase for, whether it be investing, trading, or trading on other exchanges, disclose the source of your funds, whether it be from your occupation or investments, and choose your current occupation.
- Click “Next,” and once your identity has been verified, click “Continue” and you will be brought back to the dashboard.
- When selecting wire transfer now, you will see a reference number you can use to set up a wire with your bank account.
Once your payment methods have been verified, congratulations! You are ready to start investing in cryptocurrency…. almost…
Step 10: Record Instructions on How to Access Accounts and Create a Will or Trust in the Event of Death
Now that all of your accounts are set up and you’re ready to invest, there’s one more step you need to take.
Most of the things covered in this article are not easy to figure out on your own. A lot of people investing in crypto are young, single millennials and if something were to happen to you, I’m sure there’s someone out there you would want to benefit from your investments.
However, you know that your mom, grandma, boyfriend, or whoever you would want to benefit from your investments in the event of your death, would probably have a hard time figuring it out all by themselves.
Using your paper notebooks, record detailed notes and instructions from this article on how to safely access, transfer, and cash in your funds if they ever needed to do so. Try to keep it simple, but also detailed enough so even your grandma could do it.
I also highly recommend going the extra mile and create a will, trust, or other documents that could be legally executed in the event of your death to carry out your wishes.
So, on that happy note, thank you for reading this guide on how to buy cryptocurrency. I hope you found this article helpful and easy to follow.
If you have any questions or additional tips on how to buy cryptocurrency, please leave them in the comments below. Be safe out there.